Intellectual Freedom and Equal Access: We select books and materials that are positively reviewed in professional journals. All materials must be age-appropriate. We respect intellectual freedom and equal access, and select materials that uphold the value of diversity by representing a wide variety of cultures and viewpoints.
The Fourth R
Oakland Mills Middle School is a community that reads! We like to consider Reading the 4th R. Did you know …
- Since fall 2008, our students have published over 650 online book reviews.
- Our book review website has received over 150,000 hits.
- Search engines refer users around the world to our website about 17 times each week.
- Authors Mary Amato and April Henry visited our website to comment on our students’ reviews of their books.
How can you get involved?
- Talk with your students about what they’re reading! Today’s young adult literature is much more interesting than when we were in middle school.
- Suggest great books for our Media Center to buy. Use this easy request form to add to our shopping list.
- Read our students’ book reviews. Our students are great writers, and they love an audience …
- Take our Rave the Stacks challenge to explore books from other sections of the library! It’s easy, it’s fun, and you’ll stretch yourself with books you didn’t know you’d love.
Thank you for all you do to contribute to our powerful culture of reading!